Tuesday 28 February 2012

Thank god it's a leap year...

It all begins with the Happiness Project. March 1st will be my official start, which means I have one more day (thanks to the leap year) to get my resolutions down on paper. It's what inspired the entire vision board, so I'll start from the beginning...

5 months ago, I read the Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin. The book made me happier just by reading it. The book begins with a note to the reader:

A 'happiness project" is an approach to changing your life. First is the preparation stage, when you identify what brings you joy, satisfaction, and engagement, and also what brings you guilt, anger, boredom, and remorse. Second is the making of resolutions, when you identify the concrete actions that will boost your happiness. Then comes the interesting part: keeping your resolutions.

As she was identifying her resolutions, she discovered the same principles emerging, which she calls her "Commandments". They are meant to help you as you struggle to keep your resolutions. These are my affirmations.

1. Be Alicia.
2. Let it go.
3. It doesn't have to be equal.
4. Fake it till you make it.
5. Do it now.
6. Identify the problem.
7. Lighten up.
8. You are exactly where you are supposed to be.
9. Be grateful. Always.
10. Enjoy the ride.

She also came up with a goofier list: My Secrets of Adulthood. A list of lessons you have learned as you've grown up. I actually had a bit of fun with these!

Failing because you didn't try is worse than failing when you tried your best.
EVERYTHING happens for a reason.
Check your pockets before putting your clothes in the washing machine.
It's actually important to change the oil in your car regularly.
My mom is always right (except the time she told me asparagus grows in swamps).
If you are trying to prove a point, yelling never works.
People don't believe you are sorry when you scream it at them.
A glass of water usually cures a headache.
Your kids don't care how late you went to bed.
Forgiveness is a gift you give yourself.
You are what you eat.


With those thoughts in mind, I'm ready (I think) to get this show on the road. I'll summarise the resolution for each month to give you an idea of the "Big Picture".

MARCH
Boost Energy (Vitality)

APRIL
Remember Love (Marriage)

MAY
Aim Higher (Work)

JUNE
Lighten up (Parenthood)

JULY
Be serious about play (Leisure)

AUGUST
Make time for friends (Friendship)

SEPTEMBER
Buy some Happiness (Money)

OCTOBER
Contemplate the Heavens (Eternity)

NOVEMBER
Pursue a Passion (Design)

DECEMBER
Pay Attention (Mindfulness)

JANUARY
Keep a Contented Heart (Attitude)

FEBRUARY
Boot Camp Perfect (Happiness)


When I first read the book, I wanted to do this with my husband. But after waiting patiently for him to finish reading it (which never happened, by the way), I realised that this is my journey, not his. Besides, one of my resolutions for April is to stop nagging, so I decided that if I had to harass him, it defeats the purpose. Since October, I've already started some of the resolutions that just couldn't wait. Getting rid of things you don't need, spending quality time with friends, tackling nagging tasks and starting a blog really have made me happier. It may seem like small things, but put together means big change!





No comments:

Post a Comment