Wednesday 29 February 2012

Happy Leap Year!

So, tomorrow is the Big Day. The 1st day of my "Happiness Project" and the start of my Vision Board. I'm prepared, made my resolutions, and with my affirmations in hand, I'm set on having a fulfilling life. I'm excited for this journey (God! I sound like the Bachelor, lol!) and can't wait for what the next 15 months will bring!

MARCH
Boost Energy (Vitality)

Resolutions:

-Go to sleep earlier.
-Exercise regularly.
-Toss, restore, organise.
-Tackle a nagging task.
-Drink more water, remember my vitamins.


I'm pretty good at making sure I get enough sleep. A typical person needs about 8 hours a night (which I'm getting). The average only sleeps about 6.9 hours during the week, so all together, I think I'm doing alright. But I must say, on those magical nights I get 9, sometimes even 10 hours in, I am on top of the world the next day. Having said that, my goal is to get in 9 hours a night (which means no more late night dates with Pinterest)!

As I mentioned in yesterday's post, I've been tackling some of these resolutions over the last few months, and in the past month, I've been running three times per week and I feel great! I sweat like a pig, push myself harder than I ever have and within 3 weeks ran my first 10km (and in under an hour, I might add)! It's a great feeling and I'm really proud of myself. I've signed up for the Vancouver Sun Run on April 15th, and even though experienced runners say "It's over crowded, so don't expect to get a good time", it will be a great sense of accomplishment!

I'm definitely not a hoarder (although I've had issues with gift bags in the past) but it amazed me a few weeks ago when I managed to spend 8 hours in my "junk room" throwing crap out. It was mildly embarrassing actually because I was proud of my organising skills and the fact that I regularly get rid of things I no longer need. I'll blame it on my husband to make me feel better, but a lot of it was mine. Afterwards, I sold the shelving, side tables, etc I previously could not live without on Craigslist and put the money towards new dressers that we desperately needed. It was exhilarating! It inspired me to dung out my closet, the kids closets, the linen closet, laundry room and so on. I am a ruthless organising machine! Watch out basement, you have no idea what is about to hit you.

Oh god. The nagging task list. I'm in for it here, BIG TIME. We renovated our house exactly 5 years ago and for anyone who has ever renovated a house before, you know how easy it is to go over budget. Needless to say, a ton of things were never fully completed and it's funny how you don't even see it after awhile. I've been walking through my home as if I was interested in buying it. It's funny how all of a sudden, my house is gross. Dead ladybugs in the light fixtures (we just cleaned them, I swear!) and crayon marks on the wall I tried to scrub off and never succeeded. The list goes on. Replace siding on the side of the house where we boarded up some windows, finish painting the exterior (the front of my house is Hampshire Grey and the back is 15 year old faded blue. Transition strips, oh man. This sucks. But one of Gretchen's "Secrets of Adulthood" is "By doing a little bit each day, you can get a lot accomplished". So with that bit of advice, I'm trucking on.

The last is to drink more water, remember to take my vitamins. Speaking of more water, I'm actually quite thirsty. I'm dragging out my Tupperware water bottle (the really cool one that has a container that attaches to the bottom). Every morning, I'm putting my daily vitamins in the bottom container, so when I'm driving in the car and realise I forgot to take my iron, (Damn! Oh wait!) I have them in my water container! I did this last year and it worked out really well... That is until my mom and I went on vacation and I forgot the bottle. Did I mention I have a hard time following things through?!?

Sounds pretty easy right? I doubt it. One day at a time is all I need to remember and if anything, I'm a stubborn Gemini and nothing gets in the way of what I want. I'm off to get my vitamins because I'm pretty sure my other ones expired, write down all the nagging tasks (including going to the eye doctor which I've been putting off since I was 16) and typing out my resolutions chart.


"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."

-Aristotle


 

No comments:

Post a Comment